View Thread

• 1.  Networking

Posted 11-13-2017 15:31

Hello,

I'm still new to the FM world and I'm getting ready to graduate from college, and I'm looking for advice/recommendations for networking. I'm wanting to get know more people in my intended career field which is FM/PM  and that share some of the same career goals. Any advice would be great. I have started a LinkedIn page, but don't seem to be having as much luck.

Thank you in advance,

Description: <a href=image001.png@01CE19C2.ABB133F0">

Syd Dietrich

Maintenance Mechanic

City of Boise Public Works

Government Buildings
    Direct 208-573-1409

• 2.  RE: Networking

Posted 11-13-2017 21:08
    Hi Syd,

You've taken a great couple of first steps by creating a LinkedIn profile as well as starting to post here. 

Social media
    Start searching LinkedIn for and joining groups that interest you. The IFMA LinkedIn group (link here) has nearly 80,000 members and would be a great start. Just like the Engage boards, you can dig into discussions with other folks who share similar career interests and build relationships over time. I do the same thing on Twitter as well as LinkedIn, and have been fortunate enough to eventually meet some "online friends" in real life.

In-person networking
    With going to school and working at the same time (congrats on graduation, by the way), have you had time to attend any of your local IFMA chapter events? Those would be a good way to meet folks as well. It might feel awkward at first, trying to start conversations with people you don't know. That's part of networking, though, and you'll settle into a rhythm and start seeing familiar faces the more local events you go to.

I'd love to connect with you on LinkedIn as well, especially if I can be of any help to you in the future. You'll find my profile at this link - shoot me a connection request by clicking the blue "Connect" button just under my profile photo.

Cheers,
    Drew

------------------------------
    Drew DePriest, CEM, LEED AP, WELL AP
    Comfy & MIT Climate CoLab Buildings Fellow
    drew.depriest@gmail.com
    (773) 704-9676
    Chicago, IL

• 3.  RE: Networking

Posted 11-14-2017 06:25
    Also hoping to know if any YPs are at NFMT today and tomorrow? Let's find a time to meet up!

---------------------------------
    Jacob D'Albora LEED AP BD+C
    Director of BIM-FM Services, AVP
    McVeigh & Mangum Engineering, Inc.
    Charlotte NC
    704-547-9035
    ---------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Networking

Posted 11-14-2017 08:49
    Drew, 

Nice to meet you, and thank you for taking some time to respond to my post. I have not yet got really involved with my local chapter. That is defiinitly something I need to do. I added the group on Linked in and will search to see if I can find some others. I also sent you a request. 

Have a great day!

Syd

Sydney Dietrich
    Maintenance Mechanic
    City Of Boise
    Boise, ID
    208-573-1409