View Thread

• 1.  Facility manager opportunity

Posted 09-19-2018 14:22
    Hello everyone,
    I have not posted in a while and need some advice. I finally got the courage to move from my current job as a facility maintenance manager/mechanic to F.M . A company has shown interest in me for their facility management position. My current salary is 59k, the company has asked for my salary requirement. Here is where I am looking for advice. Do I use my current wage as my salary requirement or do I use go off of the median wage for an F.M. in my area?

The second portion that this is a wonderful nonprofit company that helps those in need theirmission is to empower working-poor families through programs that encourage financial responsibility, provide interim housing and assist families with fundamental needs.

Should this also be a factor in what salary requirement I submit?

Thank you all for taking the time to read,

------------------------------
    Mauricio Rodriguez
    Maintenance Mechanic
    US ARMY- IMCOM-DPW-Fort Leavenworth, KS

• 2.  RE: Facility manager opportunity

Posted 09-20-2018 09:25
    I think you should go off the median for the area. Non-profits normally cannot afford the same rates as private industry but they typically try to make up for it in employee benefits. Be willing to negotiate everything. They may pay in perks, like giving a paid week off between Christmas and New Years. There is no hard and fast rule so pay close attention to the amount of work they are expecting in the job posting, and at the interview think about how well the facilities are currently running and how much work it will take to get it on track. If you can justify your salary with huge cost savings it is useful information in negotiating. 

Good Luck!!

Brian Blunt
    Facilities Associate
    Washington DC