View Thread

• 1.  Night Shift Housekeeper Burnout Prevention

Posted 09-27-2023 16:16

Good Afternoon,

I am the FM at a rural, tribal community health center. The Housekeeping Supervisor and I are having trouble with job retention for night shift housekeepers. Burnout appears to be the main complaint, along with salary/wage being low, and the shift being inconvenient/not ideal. 

Does anyone have any ideas for incentivizing staff to work nights or retaining the staff we already have on for night shift?

Thank you,

------------------------------
    Kevin Titus
    Facilities Manager
    Bay Mills Health Center
    Brimley MI

• 2.  RE: Night Shift Housekeeper Burnout Prevention

Posted 09-28-2023 09:13

Hello Kevin,

Overnight retention can be a challenge. What steps have you already tried to retain overnight talent?

If raising wages can't be accommodated maybe starting team building activities such as having a regularly scheduled meal that the business provides, or having birthday celebrations that the employee can opt out of? Even if the business isn't providing the meal, having regular potlucks where the staff can get together and enjoy something different can do a lot for moral. This can mean late nights for you and the supervisor but having a sense of connection/community within the organization helps with employee retention.

Outside of that, having the night shift be a time and a half pay rate is a good incentive.

Peter Shoemaker
    Facility Supervisor
    Wichita Art Museum
    KS

• 3.  RE: Night Shift Housekeeper Burnout Prevention

Posted 09-28-2023 22:52

Hi Kevin,

I agree with Peter. A shift differential is definitely a perk for a lot of our night shift crews if that's an option. On top of some of the options that Peter shared, I'm a big supporter in recognition of the staff and their accomplishments. This can be as simple as recognizing a staff member for emergency response times with a gift card or a spot bonus, or maybe they've identified a near miss and giving them something as small as a shout out in a weekly shout out email can help boost the positivity. I feel like it's really easy to feel disconnected from crews that work the night shift so ensuring you're maintaining that relationship should help with that turn over. 

I hope that helps!

Brandie Peter CFM
    Workplace Manager
    Tesla
    Bastrop TX